Who we are?
Dr. Shyamani Hettiarachchi
- To provide confidential advice, support and guidance to students with disabilities on academic matters to enable better access to education in order to reach the students’ fullest potential.
- To be the mediator between students with disabilities and Faculty members to promote equal educational access through disability-friendly learning and teaching environments.
- To offer advice on individual student applications for reasonable accommodations and special arrangements at examinations on a case-by-case basis. It must be stressed that accommodations at examinations are not automatic but decided on by an advisory group for students who apply through their Faculty representative.
- To liaise with non-governmental organizations and private and public companies to seek support for specialist assistive technology and disability-related support to enable better access to lectures and to university life.
- To explore possibilities of better physical and academic access to students with disabilities, making the university barrier-free, inclusive and disability-friendly.
What we offer?
- Opportunities for confidential discussions on student concerns and needs including medical, academic, psychosocial or socio-economic concerns with a member of the advisory panel.
- Information, recommendations, guidance and appointments with relevant personnel to support student access to education and to all aspects of university life.
- Advice on available courses, course combinations and assessment demands. It will not be possible for academic requirements of each course to be waived due to the student’s disability, although an advisor would be able to help the student to review the demands of each course and to discuss any student concerns.
- Special arrangements to access medical and psychosocial support and specialist assessments and intervention for speech, language, communication difficulties or dyslexia.
- Advice on examination accommodations in consultation with experts and in discussion with members of the faculty.
- Support to secure relevant specialist assistive technology and devices.
Reasonable Accommodations at Examinations for Students
Prof. Wasantha Subasinghe
Senior Lecturer, Department of Sociology
Ms. Dumini de Silva
Lecturer, Department of Disability Studies
Dr. Samanmali Sumanasena
Senior Lecturer, Department of Disability Studies
Ms. Hiroshika Nadeeshani Premarathne
Lecturer, Department of Software Engineering
Lecturer, Department of Human Resource Management
Prof. G. J. S. Wijesekara
Professor, Department of Linguistics
Dr. Prabha Manuratne
Senior Lecturer, Department of English
Mr. M. B. B. Jayasundara
Lecturer, Department of Sinhala